Sweet Potato Squares With Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise
For a hearty, fun appetizer, arrange cubes of sweet potato and pieces of smoked sausage on skewers and serve with a lemon-garlic mayonnaise. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you choose to serve the Sweet Potato Squares warm, prepare the mayonnaise first.
Perfect Partner: 2004 Linden, Claret, Virginia; 2005 Hogue, Cabernet-Merlot, Washington
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 32 (1-inch) cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound spicy smoked sausage, cut into 32 (1/2-inch) pieces
- 32 wooden picks
- Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Place sweet potato cubes on a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Drizzle potatoes with 2 Tbsp. oil, and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Toss to coat.
2. Bake at 450° for 15 to 20 minutes, turning cubes twice.
3. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
4. Place 1 sausage slice on top of 1 sweet potato cube; secure with a wooden pick. Repeat with remaining sausage slices and potato cubes. Serve with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise. Garnish, if desired.
Anne Trulock, Madison, Georgia, Southern Living